Friday, August 1, 2008

Brown Bagging It


Okay, lets be real. Most people who bring their lunch to work really don't use brown bags anymore. I find people tend to use their plastic grocery store bags or have purchased a lunch cooler like I have.

It is much less expensive to plan ahead and not be tempted to eat out each day. I buy easy to pack items that I like and that are healthy. I'm vegetarian so sometimes I have to get creative or I get stuck in a rut. But lately I take string cheese, v-8 juice, low fat microwave popcorn, a fiber one bar, cherry tomatoes and fruit. It's all healthy, low fat and filling.

If you want to make sure you can stick with it, be sure to pack things that you will look forward to eating. Don't get in a boring peanut butter and jelly rut. Though that is rather tasty now and again! Make sure you get some fruits and veggies in there and a treat as well.

It is much less expensive than going out for lunch each day. And that means more money for your banks. They must be filling up by now.

It must not feel like a punishment or sacrifice or you know you won't do it. I give myself a treat every now and then by going to McDonalds and getting an ice cream cone. It is less than a dollar and only 3 points on Weight Watcher's. Can't beat that and it tastes soooo good on a hot summer day.

So get creative and start packing those lunches, and happy savings. Lisa

No comments: